Skip to main content

HOW TO PREPARE AFANG SOUP

I am a fan of anything vegetables, and as a deltan our delicacies are owo, banga, draw pepper soup.

Moving to a new city, I had to eat out for some time; on a faithful day I overheard a fellow cafeteria requesting for afang and eba, so I decided to order the same.
Today, I am so falling in love with the soup and prepared my own homemade Afang soup with the help of my friend from cross river state.

This delicious soup is called "Afang soup" by the Efiks and Ibibios; and  "Okazi soup" by the Igbos.

What are the Required Ingredients:

> Afang Leaves ( it sold cups, 3 -4 cups is fine)
> Waterleaf ( sold 100 per fold, N300 will suffice)
> Stockfish
> Crayfish
> Meat
> Fresh Pomo
> Smoked Fish
> Salt and seasonings
>Fresh pepper
> Periwinkles ( I bought the shelled one to have that suckling experience)
> Dried prawns ( if you can get the fresh ones, that would be great)
> Palm oil

Primers to making the Soup:

> Boil your meats 
> Rinsed and steamed the stockfish and dried red prawns
> Wash and chop the water leaves
> wash your shelled periwinkles with salt
> Cut pomo into small pieces
> Blend your fresh pepper.
> You can choose to ground your crayfish or put it whole.
> Pounded the afang leaves (afang leaf has this stubborn texture, that you can either choose to pound or blend it; I choose to pound as a first-timer, it wasn't easy but was worth it).
But, next time I ain't doing that, as I have learned that you can put it in little hot water for a few minutes to softens and then blend to your level of smoothness.

Finishing Touch:

>  Add the meats, diced pomo, and stockfish into the boiling water in the pot, add palm oil and pepper; stir with a spoon to allow the palm oil to dissolve into the stock.

> Add your periwinkles, waterleaf and stir mildly, allow to heat up for 2 minutes

> Add your crayfish, prawns and smoked fish; and then the pounded afang leaves, stirring all together.

> Watch the bubbling dark colored stock, add your seasonings and taste to your satisfaction.

> Allow simmering for 2 minutes, and there you have your Afang Soup ready to excite your digestive tract

> Go right on, serve and enjoy the soup with your choice of swallow (Eba, Semo, Fufu, Wheat).




PS: my pot of Afang soup, don't beg me😜

Best,
Hosanna Oyibo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THRIVE BY LEARNING IN DISCIPLINE

Months ago, I bore on to be trained by a successful senior colleague. As an oldie, I sometimes am tempted to skip training by telling myself that I know and have done these things before. After a month, I realized newbies were delivering results I had yet to have. I mustered courage and went to meet my trainer! to access me. IToas confident he would give me the needed spanking and motivational alignment, but lo😭, he said_ hosanna be more disciplined. It took me weeks to readjust, humble myself, and start doing what was needed to cause a shift in my mental attitude; the results I got were changing for the better. I am excited to share these transformational life cues with you today : 1. Be OPEN! Be CURIOUS:  You have to become like a child in any learning sphere. Learn to watch, talk less & do more than average. 2. HUMILITY: This will take you to places and help you learn from nobody and everybody to be Somebody. 3. DISCIPLINE: without this, no man can be truly su
LIFE Mission: Find a Balance  In social sciences, we were made to understand that man needs are insatiable. True as it may be, it doesn't stop us from not utilizing the gift of life and our daily going forth in search for ways to filling these needs! Year 2018 have started in its majestic regalia, you might have take time out to write out your yearly goals & dreams, taking action steps towards it everyday and prioritizing your immediate wants & needs........good! good! good. I have learnt that: _ Man life is based on Beliefs upon which he builds his faith; and that our Needs lays the bedrock on which our Beliefs are built. _ Despite been aware of the truth that all men will someday pass on to the great beyond and be free of this cycle, many still live a carefree life in the present! with a vain sense of relief and reassurance that pleasures of now and tempting joys from imagination of the future will bring them to satisfying all their desires and ne

DON'T SHRINK! QUALITY REQUIRES PATIENCE

Over last weekend, while uploading contents to my social media handles, a valuable lesson was gained from trying to upload to my blog. I had successfully published the post and shared the link to my social media handles when I realized the image quality was poor. I was disturbed and went back to re-upload the images. For over an hour and a half, the same quality of images was given even after refreshing the web page repeatedly, switching networks, and sitting positions. I finally succumbed to the thought of leaving the image like that, I had logged out of blogger and as I stood up to go about other activities I felt disappointed with myself. The inner me said why would you settle for that, will you or your audience enjoy content with such image quality? I sat back and decided to log in again and delete and upload the images again! And boom, I had my eureka moment; image resolution was perfectly loaded. I sighed in joy and in retrospective, I understood that t